Danaé D. Woody is the founder Woody Law Firm, LLC. Ms. Woody’s experience includes complex divorce litigation, child custody disputes, child support modification and enforcement, non-traditional family formation and dissolution, adoption, and estate planning matters. Ms. Woody holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology from California State University, Sacramento and a Juris Doctor from the University of Denver. She is a mentor through the Colorado Attorney Mentoring Program (CAMP) as well as Denver Law’s Professional Mentoring Program.
Ms. Woody’s litigation experience has proven that in high conflict cases, court involvement is sometimes necessary in order to achieve the best result for her clients. However, Ms. Woody is committed to helping parties decrease conflict during domestic relations proceedings and encourages parties to find mutually acceptable solutions to their disputes, when possible. Litigation can become extremely expensive, emotionally taxing, and time consuming. Further, litigation often results in dissatisfaction for all parties and children involved, as a judge can never be truly familiar with the people involved in order to make a decision that seems fair to everyone. However, when parties are able to understand the law with the assistance of their attorneys and, when children are involved, focus on what is truly best for their children, many clients feel satisfied with the results of successful settlement negotiations. Many times, negotiated settlements also result in savings of several thousands of dollars in legal and expert fees.
Ms. Woody is committed to providing quality legal services at affordable rates, as no person should be forced to go without some amount of legal advice simply because they believe they cannot afford a lawyer. Due to the array of significant rights at stake in domestic relations matters, most parties cannot afford NOT to have a lawyer.
In her spare time, Ms. Woody enjoys volunteerism, skiing, reading fiction novels, and traveling with her family.
Member – Colorado Bar Association
- Family Law Section, Executive Council Member (2017-2019)
- Modern Law Practice Initiative
- Young Lawyers Division
- Co-Secretary (2015-2016)
- Executive Council Member (2015-2018)
Member – Denver Bar Association
Awards and Distinctions:
Super Lawyers “Rising Star” – 2016 & 2017
National Association of Distinguished Counsel – Nation’s Top One Percent
National Academy of Family Law Attorneys – Top 10 Attorneys Under 40
American Institute of Family Law Attorneys – 10 Best Law Firms for Client Satisfaction, 2015 & 2016
Avvo Rated “Superb” since 2015
Avvo Top Contributor 2015
“Lead Counsel” Rated
Who’s Who Directories – Top Attorneys in North America
- “C’mon In. The Water is Fine. Starting a Law Practice,” The Docket, August/September 2017.
- I’m Considering Divorce, Now What? (Part I – Preparing for the Process) and (Part II – What You Need to Know During Your Divorce), Center For Shared Insight Blog, March 2017.
Nicole Marie Black – Reestablishing the Bar as a Home for Young Lawyers, The Colorado Lawyer, Vol. 44, No. 7, July 2015.
- Legal Resource Review (reviewing Amy. L. Jarmon, Time and Workplace Management for Lawyers), The Colorado Lawyer, Vol. 44, No. 6, June 2015, with Heather Coleman.
Unbundled Legal Services into Your Practice, 3d Edition- Colorado Bar Association, Modest Means Task Force CLE Materials, August 2016.
- How to Make a Modest Means Practice Work for You – Denver Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Blog, July 29, 2014.
Ms. Woody is currently working on articles for The Colorado Lawyer and The Docket, to be published later this year.
In re Allocation of Parental Responsibilities of T.D.L., Not Published, Announced March 27, 2014 by Colorado Court of Appeals Publications.
- Presenter – “Child/Therapist Privilege Issues in Domestic Relations Cases,” Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee, September 5, 2017.
- Panelist – Hanging Your Shingle, “From the Trenches: Practical Advice and Traps to Avoid,” Colorado Bar Association CLE, August 3, 2017.
- Moderator – “Striking the Balance: Ethical, Rewarding Law Practice and Present, Participating Parent,” Colorado Bar Association CLE, March 23, 2017.
- “Starting Your Own Divorce,” Ralph Carr Judicial Center, October 2, 2015.
- Panelist – “Oh the Places You’ll Go, Career Paths With a JD,” University of Denver, September 17, 2015.
- Panelist – “Successful Starts for Solo or Small Civil Litigation Practice”
- University of Denver, February 24, 2015.
- Panelist – Cherry Creek Business Women’s Network, November 20, 2014.
- Panelist – Juvenile and Family Law Club Careers Panel, University of Colorado law school, November 11, 2014.
- Guest Lecturer – Advanced Family Law Practicum (with James Garts, Esq. and Professor Amy Goscha) University of Denver, October 15, 2014.
- Panelist – “Bridging the Gap: Every-person Access to Professional Legal Representation” Rocky Mountain Public Interest and Social Justice Retreat, September 20, 2014.
- Presenter – “Unbundled Legal Services/Limited Scope Representation as an Effective Business Model.” Family Law Institute, August 9, 2013.
- Presenter – “What is Unbundled/Limited Representation?” 6th Annual ADR Conference, October 30, 2012.
In addition, Ms. Woody is a frequent presenter on provision of Unbundled and Limited Scope Representation statewide as a part of the “Unbundling Roadshow” hosted by the Colorado Bar Association Modern Law Practice Initiative:
- 20th Judicial District, Boulder Interdisciplinary Committee, December 6, 2017.
- 18th Judicial District, Douglas County Bench, September 21, 2017.
- Family Law Institute, Vail, CO, August 19, 2017.
- Faculty of Federal Advocates, Denver, CO, August 17, 2017.
- 15th/16th Judicial Districts, Lamar, CO, June 9, 2017.
- Domestic Relations Courts Best Practices Institute, Denver, CO, June 5, 2017.
- Colorado Bar Association, May 31, 2017.
- 2nd Judicial District, Denver, CO, February 28, 2017.
- United States District Court, District of Colorado, February 22, 2017.
- Denver Bar Association Courts Orientation, November 17, 2016.
- Rocky Mountain Children’s Law Center, Denver, CO, November 3, 2016.
- Colorado Bar Association, October 19, 2016.
- 8th Judicial District, Fort Collins, CO, September 21, 2016.
- Annual Judicial Conference, Vail, CO, September 13, 2016.
- 4th Judicial District, Colorado Springs, CO, May 17, 2016.
- Denver Bar Association Courts Orientation, November 19, 2015.
- 18th Judicial District, October 30, 2015.
- Colorado Bar Association, September 9, 2015.
- 10th Judicial District, Pueblo, CO, August 11, 2015.
- 14th Judicial District, Steamboat Springs, CO, July 17, 2015.
- Colorado Bar Association, May 7, 2015.
- 9th Judicial District, March 20, 2015.